Air fryers have surely changed the way we cook food. From quick snacks to dinners and other meals on special occasions, air fryers can do almost everything for you. If you are a potato lover, you must be wondering whether you can roast potatoes in an air fryer.
Yes, you can roast potatoes in an air fryer. Just cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes and air fry them at 380°F for 10 minutes; give a shake and air fry for 10 more minutes.
In fact, almost all types of vegetables can be roasted using an air fryer. Potatoes roasted in an air fryer tend to be crispy and golden on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Let’s take a deeper look into and discuss how you can come up with delicious roasted potatoes in just a few minutes.
Method to make air fryer roasted potatoes
Here is how you roast potatoes in an air fryer.
- Take 3 medium sized potatoes. If you prefer, peel the potatoes; otherwise, leave the peel on.
- Cut the potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
- Toss the pieces inside a large bowl with 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp paprika, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper. Ensure the potatoes are properly covered with the oil and seasoning.
- Transfer the potato pieces into the air fryer basket and roast them at 380°F for 10 minutes.
- Then, flip or toss the potatoes and continue roasting them for 10 additional minutes.
Note: Do not shake the basket too much or the potatoes will break. Use a spatula or tongs to flip them.
The best potatoes for roasting in the air fryer
Some potatoes turn out better than the others when it comes to cooking them up in the air fryer. Here are the best potatoes to air fry:
Russet potatoes: Will perfectly crisp up with a light gold color. They’ll be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Yellow potatoes: Will crisp up beautifully with creamy insides and turn a bit dark golden due to their high sugar and low starch content.
Red potatoes: Will have crispy outsides, and creamy insides with a darker golden color (attributed to the high sugar and low starch content). They’ll soften a bit quickly.
Additional tips for roasting potatoes
Here are some important tips to keep in mind when roasting potatoes in the air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer for around 5 minutes prior to roasting for a crispier result.
- If you’ve got starchy potatoes, you will need to soak them in cold water for 15 minutes to get rid of excessive starch before roasting. When they’ve soaked, remember to dry them so that they don’t steam inside the air fryer!
- Flip the potatoes half way through the roasting process to make sure they are equally roasted from all sides. Use tongs or a spatula to do so because shaking the basket can break them or not flip them at all.
Storing air fryer roasted potatoes
You don’t have to fret about storing your roasted potatoes because they store wonderfully. Here are a few guidelines:
- You can simply, store air fryer roasted potatoes in the fridge for about 5 days. To reheat, air fry them for 2 to 3 minutes at 400°F.
- To freeze your roasted potatoes, transfer them to an airtight container before putting in the freezer. They’ll stay good for about 6 months. To reheat, air fry them for 5 to 6 minutes at 400°F.
In the end, roasting potatoes in an air fryer is fairly easy. All you need to do is cover the potatoes in extra virgin olive oil and seasonings of your choice and pop them in the air fryer for a couple of minutes. However, keep in mind that the temperature and duration may vary based on the air fryer and potatoes.