Have you ever wondered if you can reheat injera? Wonder no more because that’s what we will tell you in this article. Injera, a leavened Ethiopian flatbread, is typically seen in East African regions. The bread is most commonly eaten with soups, stews, and salads.
If you want to know more about Ethiopian breads then click here!
Fresh injera can be eaten once you have boiled it after baking it in a microwave. Fortunately, there are many ways to reheat injera once it is cold. Let’s find out different approaches used to reheat injera.
Can you reheat the injera?
Yes, you can reheat injera. The best way to warm the injera is to toast it in an oven toaster for 1-2 minutes. You can also cover it up in a clean cloth and leave it in the microwave for 45-60 seconds.
You may also use leftover injera by tearing it up and putting it in a saucepan with butter or oil. Once it is crispy, you can add injera to whichever dish you like to have it in.
How to reheat injera?
There are many ways to reheat injera, the following sections describe the best ways to do so.
How to reheat injera on a stove?
You can use a stove to reheat almost anything. Reheating injera on a stove might be the best and most straightforward way to reheat it.
To reheat injera on a stove;
- Heat oil in a pan on a medium flame for about a minute.
- Then, add the injera to the pan.
- Close the pan’s lid and continue heating for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Then, open the lid and flip the injera.
- Heat it again for 6 to 7 minutes with the lid open.
Your injera is reheated! Serve it with stew, meat, or any dish of your choice.
How to reheat injera in an oven?
Reheating injera in an oven will almost take about 20 minutes, but you will end up with fresh as new injera. Follow the given steps to reheat the injera in an oven.
To reheat injera in an oven;
- Spread injera on a baking sheet.
- Heat it in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
- Flip the injera after 10 minutes and put it back in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once done, let it cool down for a minute or two, then serve.
Did you know that you could also reheat edamame in an oven? Click here to find out how!
How to reheat injera in a microwave?
Before reheating the injera in a microwave, make sure it is not too dry (nor too wet). The rule of thumb is that you should be able the un-crumple the bread with your hands. If it is stiff, it’s too dry. So, add some moisture to the bread before reheating it in a microwave.
To reheat injera in a microwave;
- Add water to soften the bread if it’s too dry.
- Now, wrap the injera in a clean cloth and place it inside the microwave on high power for 45-60 seconds.
Note: This time is sufficient enough to un-crumple and soften the bread without making it too hot or melting it.
How to reheat injera on a grill?
Unlike many other food items, injera can be easily reheated on a grill.
To reheat injera on a grill;
- Preheat the grill to a medium temperature.
- Tear the injera into small pieces and place the pieces in aluminum foil.
- Splash some water into the foil and wrap it tightly.
- Place the aluminum foil wrap on a grill rack and heat for about 4-5 minutes.
- Once the foil edges start bubbling, take the wrap out of the grill to avoid overcooking the bread.
Tip: If you are unsure whether the injera is warmed enough or not, check the bottom of the foil. The injera is well-cooked and ready to be served if it is brown.
How to reheat injera in a toaster oven?
To reheat injera in a toaster oven;
- Place each piece of bread on the toaster rack almost one inch apart to avoid heating it incorrectly.
- Heat the bread for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once reheated, take the bread out of the toaster and enjoy!
How to reheat injera in an air fryer?
Follow the given steps to reheat injera in an air fryer;
- Take a baking rack and put the injera on it.
- Place the rack inside the air fryer.
- Heat the bread for 3 to 4 minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once heated enough, take the bread out of the air fryer.
- Enjoy it with anything you like.
How do you reheat frozen injera?
To reheat frozen injera;
- Defrost the bread by leaving it at room temperature for a while.
- Wrap the injera as you would when it is refrigerated.
- Place it inside the microwave for 45-90 seconds until it becomes soft.
- Please wait for 30 seconds for the bread to cool down before serving it.
How long does injera last?
Injera, kept at room temperature, lasts for 5-7 days. It is advisable to keep it in the refrigerator, where it can last for up to 21 days. Injera can last up to 3 months if kept in the freezer.
How to store injera?
Follow the given instructions to store injera at room temperature;
- Completely cool the fresh injera by placing it on a wire rack.
- Then, wrap it in a plastic sheet.
- Put the wrapped injera bread in a cool, dry place such as a pantry, and store it at room temperature.
Can you freeze injera bread?
Yes, it is possible to freeze injera bread. Frozen injera can last up to 2-3 months. Remember that the longer the bread is kept frozen, the higher the chances of texture and flavor change. For the same reason, we recommend that you consume frozen injera as early as possible to enjoy it while its flavors and texture are still intact.
How to freeze injera?
There are various ways to freeze injera, all of which are described below.
How to freeze unopened injera?
If you haven’t opened the package of the injera, keep the injera package as it is in the freezer. Do not forget to write the storage date and label of the product.
How to freeze homemade injera?
Follow the given instructions for freezing homemade injera;
- Let the bread cool off for 1-2 hours.
- Once cooled, wrap it in aluminum foil. Make sure to layer a sheet of wax paper on every bread.
Note: To avoid improper freezing, kindly do not keep any spots exposed while wrapping the bread in aluminum foil.
- Once wrapped properly, place it in the freezer and store it.
Suppose any area of the bread is exposed. In that case, it will lead to the formation of water crystals in the bread, which will destroy the texture of the bread upon defrosting.
How to freeze leftover injera?
Layer a sheet of wax paper on each flatbread and wrap them in aluminum foil. Doing so will prevent the bread pieces from sticking to one another as they freeze. Ensure that no spot of the injera is exposed, then place it in the fridge.
Apart from injera, other types of bread also require special heating conditions and methods. For example, in this post w explain the best ways to reheat garlic bread!
Related FAQs to reheating injera
Is Ethiopian injera healthy?
Yes, it’s healthy. Injera is jam-packed with many nutrients, including complete proteins, fibers, magnesium, and calcium. No other food has as much fiber as injera. Also, it’s 70% vegan friendly; hence it’s healthy.
Does injera make you gain weight?
No, injera does not make you gain weight. The glycemic index and fat content of injera are low. Therefore, it’s the perfect food item to maintain a healthy weight and get adequate energy.
How to tell if injera has gone bad?
When you start seeing white or gray spots on your injera bread, it has gone bad and should be discarded.
Final thoughts on reheating injera
The highly nutritious and healthy injera can be reheated in various ways. You can reheat injera on a stove, microwave, oven, grill, air fryer, and oven toaster! The best thing about reheating injera is that it will not lose its soft texture and delicious taste if done correctly.
Enjoy reheating your injera!