Air fryers, when compared to ovens, tend to be wonderful appliances in terms of being versatile, compact, and easy to use.
However, if you have recently purchased a new air fryer, you might have experienced the unpleasant smell of plastic in the kitchen or the food. The question is how to get the plastic smell out of the air fryer.
To get the plastic smell out of your air fryer, take an oven-safe dish and add 1 tablespoon of distilled vinegar and lime juice each, then mix. Place the dish inside your air fryer and run it for 3 minutes at 350 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, let the mixture cool in the air fryer for 15 minutes.
Let’s take a look into how you can make your air fryer look fresh and smell fresh.
Different methods to remove the plastic smell from your air fryer
Here are some different methods to remove the plastic smell from your air fryer!
Thoroughly wash the accessories
The first thing you can try to get the plastic smell out of the air fryer is using a powerful dishwashing soap to scrub away any plastic oils, dirt, and particles from the air fryer parts or accessories (separator tray and basket).
Make sure that you do not use the green abrasive side of your scrubbing pad, as it will easily scratch or chip the non-stick coating. Always use the soft sponge side and continue scrubbing until the components are clean. Then, let them dry for a while.
Run the air fryer without food (breaking in)
When you buy a new air fryer and come across the plastic smell, it is basically the fumes given off by the plastic when the air fryer heats up and cools down. That said, we recommend that you run some cycles on your air fryer with no food so that the plastic can settle down and the fumes no longer be released.
- Turn on your air fryer and set it to 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let it run without any food for 40 minutes.
- Then, allow the air fryer to cool down and repeat the process 3 to 4 times.
Doing so will release the fumes, and there will come a time when you won’t have any plastic smell at all.
Oil the grease separator tray and the basket
- Grab a paper towel or napkin and dampen it with any cooking oil.
- Coat the inside of the basket and the grease separator with it.
- Set the air fryer to 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit and run it for 10 minutes.
- Then, let it cool down for 10 minutes and remove the tray.
- Once the cycle is complete, remove the tray and wipe it down, repeating the cycle once again.
- Then, remove the tray, clean it using dish soap, and let it dry.
Use the steam bath method using distilled vinegar and lime juice
Here’s the step-by-step distilled vinegar and lime juice method that we discussed above!
- Grab an oven-safe dish.
- Put in 1 tablespoon of distilled vinegar along with 1 tablespoon of lime juice and mix it up.
- Then, place the oven-safe dish with the mixture in the air fryer basket.
- Run the air fryer at 350-400 degrees Fahrenheit for 3 minutes.
- Once done, let the dish inside cool down for 15 minutes. The vinegar and lime juice steam bath will remove any plastic fumes.
- Once the bath is complete, wash the air fryer basket and use a damp cloth to wipe the inside of the air fryer.
Keep the air fryer clean
And finally, the most important tip, you should keep your air fryer clean. It is not necessary that you deep clean it after every cooking session; simply wipe it down using a cleaning agent or mixture to prevent accumulations or plastic odor.
If ignored, you will have difficulty removing them later on. Furthermore, keeping your air fryer clean also promotes hygiene. There is relatively less chance of you getting ill, or your stomach upset if the bacteria is removed before it can do some damage. This is what can happen if you do not clean your air fryer.
Why do new air fryers have a plastic smell?
If you notice, air fryers are mostly made of heat-resistant plastic. They are designed in a particular way to contain the heat inside but remain cool from the outside for handling purposes.
Most of the components inside air fryers are plastic mold-injected parts that require the parts to vent the plastic fumes over time through cooling and heating processes. Since manufacturers do not and cannot spend much time heating and cooling the air fryers, the new ones give a plastic smell in the beginning.
In addition to that, air fryers break in after a certain period of time, just like cars. So, you may come across unusual odors now and then. For instance, the bearings in the fan may also produce an offensive odor. Plus, the non-stick coating also emits fumes as the air fryer heats up and eventually goes away after regular use.
Getting rid of the plastic smell in your air fryer is pretty easy. If you have such a problem, don’t panic and trust our guidelines. Make sure to regularly clean your air fryer and follow the tips mentioned above to keep it odorless for years to come.